Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Anniversary Weekend

July 1st was our 8th wedding anniversary. Since I had to work that night since I had no vacation time left we decided to celebrate on the weekend. Of course on Friday night we were out late with friends at the fireworks display. It was wonderful to watch the boys eyes and faces light up when the fireworks exploded overhead. Joshua laid on the ground saying, "This is awesome" "I love that one" "oooohh!" It was a late night but a good one. Needless to say the boys didn't wake up in time for baseball on Saturday. They did enjoy their time with Ms. Julie the art therapist though!
Here's a picture that one of the boys took of us before we headed to dinner. Aren't they great photographers?!?! We went to Harry's Harbor for a nice anniversary dinner where we sat out on the deck in the beautiful sun and enjoyed the river. The boys enjoyed playing with their cousin Alyssa all night while we went to dinner and then to the show. I had bought Karen tickets to see Wicked for her birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed the show. It was great!

I'm still amazed at how everything in life is now viewed through the prizm of Jacob. Even during the show I was reminded of him when they were talking about how Elphaba was born different (green in her case!). How everyone looked at her differently and how she was special. Much like our little Jacob. I was supposed to have had to find someone to watch him for our date night.... at least that's what I thought 2 months ago when I bought the tickets. Who was I kidding? Karen would never have left him for 3 hours! Even she was thinking about how she would have had to sit on an aisle in case he made any noise in her lap or on her shoulder. But God had other plans. And they are good.
Here's the lyrics to the final duet of the musical ("For Good"). I can't help but think of Jacob and our situation.
"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good"

8 comments:

Yvette said...

Karen,

Happy Anniversary! I am so glad you had a nice evening "alone" with your husband. I hope you and your husband have many more dates like this. And, you look absolutely beautiful in these pictures - so radiant with that smile.

I miss you so much sweet friend.

Love, Yvette
www.tristanasher.blogspot.com

sumi said...

I am so glad that you had a good time! July 1 was our wedding anniversary too - 19 years!

I am going to 'steal' your phrase where you say everything is viewed through the prism of Jacob's life from now on, if you don't mind. It is exactly how I view my life now that Jenna is gone: Through a lense that has her image on it.

Much love to you all,
Sumi

asplashofsunshine said...

Such a gorgeous couple! It is so wonderful to see smiles on your faces... you deserve it! What a tribute to all three of your boys to be such fabulous people.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Karen,

Happy Anniversary to you and Jason. I am so glad you guys got away and celebrated this special day. You sure have earned it. Your kids are good photographers!! I love the words you posted from (For Good). It is so true, Jacob left his little handprint on hundreds of lives, mine included. Such a precious little warrior of God who taught me so much about living life, moment by moment. I will never forget him!! And my prayers continue for you as you walk your way through this journey. I will walk with you. You are a blessing to me.:)

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Sonja said...

What a wonderful day! I turned 43 years old. :0 .. Happy Anniversary you two. I think of the "Tie's that Bind" us together. :) It is not only marriage but the "everyday" miracles within the marriage that make it wonderful. Congratulations and may you have many more.

As for the song.... It brought tears to my eyes.... you see the first time I heard this song was June of this year.... My son's chorus teacher sang it to all of her "children" on the last concert of the year. You see , she was retiring from teaching and wanted them to know how much she "appreciated them" and how much " they have changed her life for good". Thank you for letting me see it word for word, yet from another light.

God Bless

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys look so amazing in those pics! How wonderful you had a date night! Your post is beautiful...and as always leaving me so thankful that you've allowed me to know sweet Jacob.

StaceyPiadlo said...

Happy Anniversary!!!! I'm jealous, I really wanted to see Wicked I heard it was an amazing show. I'm sure it was nice to just go out by yourselves and really enjoy eachother. The two of you are truly an inspirational couple..Your love for one another just glows and everyone around you can see it...I wish you many more years of happiness together!!!

LucieP said...

I LOVE WICKED! And I love "For Good." I think that song is so fitting in so many ways.
I am so happy that you have eachother and thankful that God has give you eachother!